This recipe was given to me by Mike’s co-worker Tess. The above printable copy is her version, and my version is below.
3 bags (each 12oz) – Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 bags Pretzel Rods
Extra Toppings: More chocolate chips, and other flavored chips (butterscotch, white chocolate, peanut butter, etc.) for drizzling on top. M&M’s, Reese’s peanut butter cups, sprinkles, fluff, dry roasted lightly salted peanuts. Pretty much whatever you like. I tried small marshmallows, but I think fluff would work better.
Prepping: Use a food chopper to chop up the toppings (Don’t turn it all to powder. Small chunks and some powder is good).
Makes about 60 pretzels, you may want to cut this recipe in half and make only one bag of pretzels.
1) Cooling the Pan: Place a piece of wax paper in a 9×11 pan, and then put it in the freezer.
2) Chocolate Covering: I started by placing the chocolate chips in a bowl that allowed me to cover the whole pretzel with chocolate in one dip (Leaving a 1-2″ handle at the bottom of the pretzel rod for holding while eating). Then I melted the chips in the microwave at short intervals (30 seconds or less at a time) until completely melted. Next I used a spatula and moved the pretzel in circular direction covering all but the pretzel “handle”. Once covered, put in the freezer on wax paper for 1 minute. If it stays longer than a minute, then it will already start to harden and the toppings will not stick as well.
3) Drizzling the Topping: Remove the batch of chocolate covered pretzel rods from the freezer, and then drizzle chocolate over the top. Note that you will need to melt your topping in the microwave (short intervals – 30 seconds or less).
3) Coating the Pretzels: Next you can add the toppings of your choice by using your hands to coat the pretzels. If you are using sprinkles, just sprinkle over the pretzels.
5) Setting process: Transfer pretzel rods to fridge, and set for 10-20 minutes before you can bag them. This helps the toppings harden on the pretzels and not fall off.
6) Take them out of the fridge, and Enjoy!